Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Letting Go and Looking Forward

When life shatters our hearts, we want to run. We want to run far and fast from those who love us and from the ever present reality of life. We go into fight or flight mode. Some of our heartache may be caused by others doing us wrong or it may stem from our own wrong decisions. But no matter what the reason may be for our brokenness, we must learn to forgive.

  • We should forgive ourselves, because God already has. That is why His son was hung on the cross and why we have grace. We are already forgiven so we must live that way. God takes our inadequacies and shines through them. 2 Corinthians 4:7 says, "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." He shines through the cracks in our jars. There is no pain so deep or pervasive that God cannot heal it. In a book I have been reading lately called Wounded Woman there is a quote that states, "Too often we scold ourselves for not being perfect or not being able to make those around us happy. But, nobody's perfect, so it's time to stop beating ourselves up."   Shame says, " I am dirty." God says, "I will wash you whiter than snow." Shame says, "I am damaged." God says, "I will heal you." Don't exchange God's truth for satan's lies. Forgive yourself and move forward. 
  • We also need to forgive the inexcusable in others because Christ forgave the inexcusable in us. Romans 12:19" Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written, 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay; says the Lord.'" We must leave it to God to settle our battles for us. You have to decide: Am I going to hang on to my anger and violence to myself, or am I going to forgive those who have wounded me? Am I going to allow bitterness to poison and putrefy my soul, or am I going to invite  God to empower me to let the anger go? The choice is ours. And we should choose to allow God to heal us. Forgiveness gives God access to our wound, and He heals, restores, and redeems what has been stolen from us. 
I am working on letting God show me the way he views me and those who have hurt me. When we do this it allows our hearts to be softened and the beauty of forgiveness to take place. So, forgive and move forward. He has great plans and a beautiful life planned. Don't let your past mistakes or your past wounds dictate your future. Allow God to pour peace, joy, forgiveness, and love into your heart. That is all you can do. But, you will overcome with His help. Isaiah 43:18 "Forget the former things; do not dwell in the past."

The song above is beautiful and so so fitting. Love you all and have a wonderful week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment